Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:09:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        NAKATA Maho <chat95@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: KSE and SMP problem in FreeBSD/amd64 5.3BETA3, namely KSEdosen't make use of SMP.

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, NAKATA Maho wrote:

> > > Dear amd64 freaks, I noticed that there seems to be a bug
> > > in KSE with SMP configuration.
> >
> > Were you using SCHED_4BSD or SCHED_ULE?
>
> Hello Doug, many thanks for your answer!
>
> This is SCHED_4BSD/SCHED_ULE issue.
> SCHED_ULE doesn't make use of SMP. ATLAS make two threads (for example),
> but these two threads is running on always *ONLY* one CPU.

SCHED_ULE is certainly SMP aware, it just makes a bad choice for your
application. :-)

> I hope this is already fixed 6.0-CURRENT :)

Possibly, although ULE is being largely abandonded for 4BSD since the ULE
author has been short of time and noone's really stepped up to work on
ULE.

ULE has some cool ideas but it falls prey to reality :)

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org