Date:      Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:56:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Eighner <eighner@io.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Xscreensaver source server broken

It appears to me that the xscreensaver-gnome port is broken in
that the source server (at jwz.org) will not reliably serve the
source file.

In particular, it serves a truncated file for
xscreensaver-4.21.tar.gz .

A review of google results for "xscreensaver freebsd truncated"
will show this has been a widespread (some 254 hits) problem
reported to this and other freebsd lists since at least March
2004 (when the version was 4.15).  Attempts to fetch this file
manually via http and ftp fail, with the servers reporting the
correct size for the file, but truncating it after about 17k has
been transfered.

Version 4.21 does not appear to exist at
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/ either.

I am of the opinion that ports should not use known broken
servers, even when the broken server is the author's - and this
goes double for ports that will break such undertakings as the
gnome upgrade script.

The file can be found at:
http://fresh.t-systems-sfr.com/unix/src/misc/ .

--