Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 1995 16:45:47 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, taob@io.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: free vnode isn't

>> Perhaps known bogus options should be checked for in a central source file:
>>
>> #ifdef CHILD_MAX
>> #warning "bogus option CHILD_MAX, RTFM setrlimit(2), sh(1) (ulimit)"
>> #endif

>    CHILD_MAX (and I assume OPEN_MAX) is bogus now?  It was still in
>the LINT config as of 2.1.0-951026-SNAP...

It always was bogus.  Defining CHILD_MAX and OPEN_MAX in <limits.h>
informs interested applications that these limits are fixed.  Applications
can reasonably allocate arrays of size CHILD_MAX and OPEN_MAX at compile
time iff the limits are fixed.  This would break if someone increases the
limits.  Increasing the limits in the kernel config without increasing
them in <limits.h> and recompiling _all_ applications that include
<limits.h> increases your chances of breaking and application that depends
on fixed limits.  There seem to be few such applications.

>what is the recommended
>method for raising the default resource limits for a user then?

setrlimit(2) and sh(1) (ulimit).

Bruce