Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 23:03:51 -0800
From:      freebsd@newtrend.com (FreeBSD)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   named boot file directive question

  Hi, I need to know how to setup the DNS server to answer zone transfer
query to specific hosts only. I read the man page ( and BIND manual ) about
named and found that there is a way to do that thru using the "xfrnets"
directive in named.boot file. But unfortunately, there is no example to show
how it works. I tried a few times but still could not get the DNS server
behave the way I want.

  For example, when using nslookup and set the default server to the DNS
server and issue a command like ls -t xxx.com, a list of all hosts managed
by the server will be displayed. Basically the ls command is a zone transfer
query from nslookup. My question is how to disable this function and still
allow my provider to have their secondary DNS servers to perform a zone
transfer.

I tried to include the following lines in the named.boot but the named
server still does not responded in the way I was expected.

   xfrnets xxx.com

        or

   xfrnets 999.999.999.0

        or