Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2016 11:36:41 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jason Zhang <jasonzhang@cyphytech.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mfi driver performance too bad on LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016, at 02:17, Jason Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on storage service based on FreeBSD.  I look forward to a
> good result because many professional storage company use FreeBSD as its
> OS.  But I am disappointed with the Bad performance.  I tested the the
> performance of LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i and had the following bad result:
>
>   1.  Test environment:
>        (1) OS:   FreeBSD 10.0 release

10.0-RELEASE is no longer supported. Can you test this on 10.3-RELEASE?

Have you confirmed that both servers are using identical RAID controller
settings? It's possible the CentOS install has enabled write caching but
it's disabled on your FreeBSD server. Are you using UFS or ZFS on
FreeBSD? Do you have atime enabled? I believe CentOS is going to have
"relatime" or "nodiratime" by default to mitigate the write penalty on
each read access.

We need more data :-)

--
  Mark Felder