Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:23:59 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Kazutaka YOKOTA' <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, naddy@mips.inka.de
Subject:   RE: psm out of sync

Dear Kazu,

> >psmintr: out of sync (00c0 != 0000).

Last night my machine drowned in out of sync errors. I had this problem
shortly after my machine drowned in microtime running backwards problems.
This was *not* on an Alpha, but on an AMD Athlon.

Only difference was that I got (0000 != 0080), IIRC.

> Would you provide some more details?  Mouse model?  What were you
> doing when this happened?  Do you use a KVM switch?

I was just downloading some stuff. During the download my microtime started
running backwards. I rebooted and powered down, but after that the problem
remained. Only after I let the machine sit switched off for an hour or so (I
had to do the dishes anyway) it came back and worked.

This is with a logitech cordless wheelmouse, FreeBSD 4.1-stable as of monday
night, and X11 3.3.6. I think I've e-mailed you a scan of the bottom of my
mouse a few months ago, so you should have the numbers. :)

> Note this patch is NOT the solution for this problem. But, rather
> an interim workaround...

I will try your patch. It looks like the kind of hack that could have helped
me last night.

    Kees Jan

 TV is the worst  of both  worlds.  It's not  as
 good at words  as radio is because the pictures
 are a distraction  which demand  attention, and
 it's not as good as cinema because the pictures
 are not nearly as good.
                                 Douglas Adams