Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 13:26:17 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        m.sapsed@bangor.ac.uk (Martin Sapsed)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.1/amd problems

As Martin Sapsed wrote:

> I have since found that if I explicitly "mount server:/path /mnt" there
> are no problems getting directory listings. Does this imply something to
> do with the NFSV3 support in 2.2.x ? mount -3 blah gets an error. This
> all worked fine in 2.1.7.

mount -o -3, btw.  But...

> The server in question runs SunOS 4.1.2 and the top of the amd map is
> like this:

...if it's SunOS 4, it's NFSv2 only anyway.

> /defaults type:=nfs;sublink:=${key};opts:=rw,intr,nosuid,grpid,rsize=1024
> user          rfs:=/export/home;rhost:=server
>
> I'm not a C hacker so can't realistically dive into the amd sources.

Mike Murphy had a suggestion to add an rdsize option to amd, please
ask him to get his patch for an attempt.  amd is missing more NFS
options (like v3), and it seems silly to duplicate the entire option
parsing from mount_nfs(8), but i don't have a more interesting idea
available either.

>  No-one's offered any
> reason for the pause before e.g. more & vi starting either.

The length of the termcap file is the reason.  I can offer you this
for free. :-)  Run

	cap_mkdb /usr/share/misc/termcap

For some reason i have yet to investigate, the compiled termcap.db
file is not distributed with the releases (although it's compiled and
installed during a `make world').  Please submit a PR for this.

--
cheers, J"org