Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:05:31 -0600
From:      "Dustin Puryear" <dpuryear@usa.net>
To:        "Gabriel Ambuehl" <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>, "Colin Campbell" <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Re[6]: Using DNAT and DNS round-robin

> Hello Colin,
>
> Monday, December 10, 2001, 6:58:41 AM, you wrote:
> > DNS round-robin will help "spread the load". Note that most
> > browsers ignore any TTL settings and tend to "permanently" cache a
> > successful name lookup.
>
> See my other mail. It won't buy you much despite trouble if you don't
> solve the replication issues involved with load balancing...

Well, one solution to this type of problem is to use remote storage such as
NAS. I am working with another client that uses several webservers that hit
a few Snap servers for all of their data. Using this method we can
load-balance (using LVS and Red Hat's High Availability Services) to our
heart's content. But you are correct that there is a problem if you leave
the data on the local drive of each server.

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
Information Systems Consultant
http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams