Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:18:48 +0100
From:      Ian Diddams <didds@netgates.co.uk>
To:        "Oles' Hnatkevych" <gnut@fc.kiev.ua>
Cc:        "Stephen A. Derdau" <sderdau@ne.mediaone.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xntpd configuration

Oles' Hnatkevych wrote:

> OK. But what configuration has to have "server"???
>
> we run intranet here, and we need our own source
> of syncronization....

This is how I've sorted it...

On server (known locally as "time"):

ntp.conf :

server ntp.cs.strath.ac.uk
server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

and xntpd is started at boot time with arguments -p /var/run/xntpd.pid
-c /etc/ntp.conf

ntp.cs.strath.ac.uk     is an external time server available publically;
I wrote and asked if I could use it for authentification and they kindly
agreed.  If you have no external link, or don't wish to use such a
beast, then the second line apparently acts as "use yourself"  ie "I am
definitive myself".  Don't ask me why this works 'cos I found it on a
web page to do with xntpd somewhere a long time ago!  The rest of the
file is smoke and mirrors (see previous).  But it works.

(FWIW before I ran xntpd up I ran "ntpdate ntp.cs.strath.ac.uk" as a one
off time sync to bring it dead level immediately.)

Clients :

load xntpd with the same arguments as above.  ntp.conf file looks like

server time
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

(Again, before starting up xntpd I did a one off "ntpdate time" to
totally sync the clocks.)

HTH.

--
Didds