Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:26:55 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: processor type.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:43:00AM -0500, John Baldwin wrote..
> On Friday 14 January 2005 02:43 am, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> > > It doens't???

> > >     . elif ${MACHINE_ARCH} == "alpha"
> > >     _CPUCFLAGS = -mcpu=ev4 -mtune=ev5
> > >
> > > http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.3/gcc/DEC-Alpha-Options.html#DEC-Al
> > >pha-Options clearly tells:
> > >
> > > -mcpu=cpu_type
> > >     Set the instruction set and instruction scheduling parameters for
> > >     machine type cpu_type. You can specify either the EV style name or
> > >     the corresponding chip number. GCC supports scheduling parameters for
> > >     the EV4, EV5 and EV6 family of processors.
> > >
> > > -mtune=cpu_type
> > >     Set only the instruction scheduling parameters for machine type
> > >     cpu_type. The instruction set is not changed.
> > >

> > > That said, you should remove the -mtune=ev5 or change it to -mtune=ev4.
> > > My guess is you won't notice a difference, but this this change will
> > > produce the best code for your machine.
> >
> > Any idea how drastic -mtune=ev6 would change things on a DS10 (to name
> > a random box ;-) ?
> >
> > Am I correct in assuming that -mcpu=ev4 will result in not using the BWX
> > etc of the newer CPUs?  And that -mcpu=ev6 will result in code that does
> > not run on anything older than EV6 due to missing instructions etc?
>
> Yes.  Note that setting CPUTYPE in make.conf gets all the right flags set for> you automagically.

I think I need to go and just investigate, but let me fire another silly
question:

Where does this kind of option get set for a make release?  I need to
avoid any /etc/make.conf stuff making its way into the Alpha releases
I build ;-)

I sort of expect the settings in /etc/make.conf to only apply to building
world and not to building release. Correct?

--
Wilko Bulte				wilko@FreeBSD.org