Date:      Tue, 2 May 2006 16:50:13 -0700
From:      "David Kirchner" <dpk@dpk.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NFS server not responding, new in 6.0

We recently replaced FreeBSD 4.5 with 6.0-RELEASE on a pair of servers.
One of the servers runs rsync to copy its contents to the other server,
over a NFS mount. Everything worked just fine under 4.5, but with 6.0,
we're seeing dozens of these errors every rsync:

May  2 14:00:59 xxx1 kernel: nfs server xxx2:/usr: not responding

The rsync does eventually complete successfully. The NFS client system
uses the em0 driver on a gigabit port, and the NFS server system uses
the fxp0 driver on a 100Mbit/full duplex port. The client system
doesn't come close to 100Mbit during the rsync (or otherwise) -- more
like 5Mbit. Neither server is what I'd consider "busy" -- they're actually
basically idle unless this script or some crons are running.

We're using NFSv3 soft, interruptable mounts. We've tried using TCP and
UDP, and have tried different -r and -w sizes, up to 32768 each. We've trie=
it with and without nfsiod.

We haven't tried changing the mount_nfs -D option, because that seems
like it would only serve to mask the real problem, whatever that is.

a) Is this a real problem, or simply a reporting problem? What exactly is i=
reporting if it's not a real problem?
b) If you've had this trouble before, what settings have you used to fix it=
?

Another issue is we're not seeing the usual "is alive again" message
you'll usually see when the server becomes unavailable and then returns.

I searched the PRs before posting this, but if there's a PR you know about
I could add a followup message to it. If you need other info, I can provide
that as well.