Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 14:14:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@mcs.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   newbie network question

Having just installed a couple of ne2000 cards and *easily* gotten
Freebsd 2.0.5 and 2.2.5 talking to each other, I'm now wondering about
dos/windows/doom.  I'm a complete newbie about networks, so these are
undoubtedly really dumb questions...

The diskette that came with the ne2000 cards contains (among other
things):

  /ndis/banyan.txt
  /ndis/ibmlan.txt
  /ndis/lansrv.txt
  /ndis/pathway.txt
  /ndis/pathwork.txt
  /ndis/msclient.txt
  /ndis/readme.txt
  /ndis/dos/*
  /netware/dosodi.txt
  /netware/client32.txt
  /netware/nw312.txt
  /netware/nw4xx.txt
  /netware/nwlite.txt
  /netware/readme.txt
  /netware/prsnlnw.txt
  /netware/client/odi.dos
  /netware/client/odi.dos/sn2000.com
  /netware/client/odi.dos/net.cfg
  /netware/client/odi.dos/sn2000.ins
  /netware/client32/doswin
  /netware/client32/doswin/sn2000.lan
  /netware/client32/doswin/sn2000.ldi
  /netware/server/nw312
  /netware/server/nw312/ethertsm.nlm
  /netware/server/nw312/msm.nlm
  /netware/server/nw312/nbi31x.nlm
  /netware/server/nw312/sn2000.lan
  /netware/server/nw4x
  /netware/server/nw4x/sn2000.lan
  /netware/server/nw4x/sn2000.ldi
  /netware/server/nw4x/msm.nlm
  /netware/server/nw4x/ethertsm.nlm
  /netware/server/nw4x/nbi.nlm
  /pktdrv/sn2000.com
  /pktdrv/sn2000.sys
  /pktdrv/dpdipx.com
  /pktdrv/pdnfs.sys
  /pktdrv/eth.sys
  /pktdrv/pctcp.txt
  /pktdrv/readme.txt
  /pktdrv/pdipx.txt
  /pktdrv/ncsa.txt
  /pktdrv/winsock.txt

And the readme's just mention ODI, NDIS, etc.  What are these things?
Are there dos drivers provided that do the equivalent of interlnk.exe?
Is the stuff on the floppy just the low level stuff, and would I need to
buy specific network software for dos?  novell?  workgroup for windows 3.1?
etc?  The pktdrv/* stuff looks the most promising.  The .txt files there
mention winsock, ncsa, pc/tcp, etc. and seem to imply that at least some
of this stuff might be available over the internet.

I'm really groping here...  I'm curious as to just what the stuff
on the diskette would be used for, and whether I can get the network
stuff working with dos/windows.

Can I get my two machines to talk using dos?  using windows? using
something else?  If so, could someone point me to a source of info
so I could learn about this stuff?

Also, what's the IPX stuff that doom supports?  What might I need
to get doom to use the network?  The pktdrv/pdipx.txt mentions a ``netx''
program -- what's that?  where does it come from?

Thanks for your patience.

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@mcs.net