Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 00:40:05 +0300
From:      Antti-Pekka Liedes <apl@hutcs.cs.hut.fi>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AHA-3940U on Tomcat IIID, asking for trouble?

On Wed, Jul 23, 1997 at 02:22:55PM -0700, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >Are there any experiences of how well AHA-3940U (bridged PCI card) works
> >on Tomcat IIID running freebsd-smp?  I read the FBSD-SMP pages concerning
> >bridged cards and it doesn't look promising.
>
> I have a 2940UW and a 3940UW (three SCSI channels total) running in a
> NetBSD box (Asus P55TP4N with Cyrix 6x86 P166+, if it matters).  It
> works extremely well.
>
> Since the NetBSD and FreeBSD ahc drivers are derived from the same
> code base, there's no reason to believe it shouldn't work (unless, of
> course, your motherboard doesn't support bridges).

This exactly is my concern, how will Tomcat IIID motherboard react to
3940?  Being a generally good quality board I think it should work well
with bridging, but does anyone have any real experience?

Too bad I still don't have two multiprocessing capable CPUs, I have to
wait until the end of this month to get some.

>   Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
>         --<  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x  >--
>     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, Atari 68k, HP300, Sun3,
>         Sun4/4c/4m, DEC MIPS, DEC Alpha, PC532, VAX, MVME68k, arm32...
>     NetBSD ports in progress: PICA, others...

Antti-Pekka Liedes  *        apl@IRC            *  In two hells there's
JMT 6 B 406         *       apl@iki.fi          *  one hell too many
02150  ESPOO        * apl@apocalypse.tky.hut.fi *     - Lucifer
+358 - 9 - 468 3121 * +358 - 40 - 5873 593      *        (in God's Army)