Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2011 08:51:12 -0800
From:      Rem Roberti <remegius@comcast.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Stuck

This is a new one for me.  I decided to do a manual update on my 8.1
box, starting with csup.  Buildworld went fine, as did buildkernel.
However, when I tried to install the new kernel installkernel choked
with an error message telling me that it could not proceed because the
root partition was full.  What!  I did a df and sure enough the root
partition was overloaded.  When I installed the system I used
sysinstalls recommended sizes for the root partion, which is around
10G.  Anyway, when I rebooted, the system rebooted into single user
mode, and that is presently where I stand.  I have no idea how to
proceed at this point, and would appreciate any help in fixing this.  Of
course, I smell a newbie type error in all of this, but haven't quite
figured out where I went wrong.

Cheers...

Rem