Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 09:41:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Duane H. Hesser" <dhh@androcles.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Stable vs. i810 with XFree86 4.1.0

On 20-Dec-01 John Polstra wrote:
> Does anybody have XFree86 4.1.0 working with the Intel i810 chipset
> under -stable?  I know that there had been problems with this in the
> past (several releases ago), but I assumed they would have been fixed
> by now.  (Yes, I do have device agp configured into my kernel.)

Remove "dri" from the Modules section, and add "Option NoDDC" to the Device
section.  I seem to recall that the VideoRam specification in Device is
either ineffective or problematic (in any event, I have commented it out in
my config file).  You might also want to load some font modules, or comment
out the Type1 and Speedo fonts from FontPath (although the server will do
that for you).

I'm currently running:
        XFree86 Version 4.1.0 / X Window System
        Release Date: 2 June 2001
        Build Operating System: FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE i386 [ELF]

under
        FreeBSD androcles.com 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Fri Oct 26 12:04:20 PDT 2001

The relevant sections of my working XF86Config file:

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "xie"
        Load  "pex5"
        Load  "glx"
#       Load  "dri"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "record"
# This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
    Load   "type1"
    Load    "freetype"
    Load    "speedo"
    Load    "bitmap"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "NoAccel"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "SWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ColorKey"                  # <i>
        #Option     "CacheLines"                # <i>
        #Option     "Dac6Bit"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "DRI"                       # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoDDC"                     # [<bool>]
        Identifier  "Intel 810"
        Driver      "i810"
        VendorName  "Intel"
        BoardName   "i810-dc100"
        BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
        Option     "NoDDC"                      # [<bool>]
#    VideoRam   4086
EndSection

There is a FreeBSD DRI page at
        http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~eanholt/dri/

I bought my i810 last December, and spent several months loading
various Linux distributions, looking for one I liked. By the end
of July I had accumulated enough advice (essentially the above
items) from these mailing lists to install freebsd (and what a
relief it was).  So...if the above doesn't do it, check the mail
archives for anything I've missed.  It's all in there.

I probably don't need to remind you, but I will anyway, to compile
or load the agp module, and make the device node.

> I had this working long ago during that sweet spot around XFree86
> 4.0.1 and FreeBSD-4.1, but can't get it working now with the newer
> versions.  The symptom is that the screen goes black when I start the
> X server, and the X server loops chewing up CPU time.  It takes a kill
> -9 to terminate it, which of course leaves the screen in an unusable
> state.
>
> My XF86Config file is appended.
>
> John
>
> Section "Module"
>     Load        "dbe"   # Double buffer extension
>     SubSection  "extmod"
>       Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
>     EndSubSection
>     Load        "type1"
>     Load        "freetype"
>     Load        "GLcore"
>     Load        "dri"
>     Load        "glx"
>     Load        "pex5"
>     Load        "record"
>     Load        "xie"
> EndSection
> Section "Files"
>     RgbPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
> EndSection
.
.
.