Date:      Fri, 05 May 2006 09:46:08 +0100
From:      Florent Thoumie <flz@xbsd.org>
To:        Jona Joachim <jona.joachim@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weirdness with Xorg, x11/nvidia-driver and GLX

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 09:43 +0200, Jona Joachim wrote:
> Alejandro Pulver wrote:
> > On Thu, 04 May 2006 22:41:18 +0200
> > Jona Joachim <jaj13@web.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi!
> >> I don't know if the following behavior is normal or not.
> >> The second but last time the xorg-server port was updated and I
> >> installed the new version it crashed every time I wanted to use an
> >> OpenGL application. The first time I noticed this was when I wanted to
> >> play games/linux-enemyterritory but later on I saw that it happened
> >> with any OpenGL application, even a simple call to glxinfo had the
> >> same effect. The result was always the same: the screen switched to
> >> ttyv0 without killing Xorg and it freezed like that. The only thing
> >> to which it reacted were ACPI calls (i.e. it shutted down properly
> >> when I hit the power button).
> >> I rebuilt the nvidia-driver just to see if it changes something or if
> >> I see something strange things during the compilation. I was
> >> astonished to see that after having done this everything worked fine
> >> again just like before. I thought that this was something that
> >> happened once due to mysterious circumstances and would never happen
> >> again so I forgot about it. However when the Xorg port was updated
> >> once again yesterday I saw that exactly the same problem happened
> >> again. This time it was also solved by rebuilding nvidia-driver.
> >>
> >> My graphics card is an NVidia GeForce 5200 FX
> >> Version of nvidia-driver: 1.0.8178_1
> >> Version of xorg-server: 6.9.0_3
> >>
> >> uname -a
> >> FreeBSD 10.0.0.11 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #0: Mon Mar 27
> >> 17:05:15 CEST 2006
> >> root@10.0.0.11:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HYPOCENTER  i386
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > This happens because the port x11/nvidia-driver renames the OpenGL
> > library and X11 module installed by Xorg and installs the NVidia ones.
> > When it's deinstalled, it removes the files and renames back the Xorg
> > files.
> >
> > The problem is that when you update the Xorg port (x11/xorg-libraries)
> > you force its deinstallation, so it removes the NVidia OpenGL libraries
> > and X11 module (without removing NVidia drivers first) and replaces it
> > with the Xorg one (without installing NVidia drivers after).
>
> Hi!
> Thanks for your explanation.
> Don't you think it would be good if the x11/xorg-libraries port checks
> whether x11/nvidia-driver is installed and updates it in the
> post-install target?
> Is there a feature in the ports system that handles these issues?
> Otherwise one could perhaps mention this in pkg-message or in UPDATING?
> It's not really intuitive

We could add a dependency to X libraries and bump the portrevision each
time X libraries port are updated. Since it doesn't make sense to have
nvidia-driver without X, I guess the dependency wouldn't hurt much.

I'm not sure what the long-term plan is wr/t this issue. It has been
raised quite a few times already.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz@FreeBSD.org