Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:01:14 +1200
From:      C.R.Harding@massey.ac.nz
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apple Newton MessagePad

Sean Kelly wrote:

> > Any comment about this toy or suggestions about similar ones ?
>
> I'm partial to the PalmPilot, from US Robotics.  It lacks a lot of
> features compared to the latest Newtons or Windows CE (whatever the
> heck that means) palm computers, but it's cheap, does what I need,
> and fits in my shirt pocket, which no other palm computer can boast.

What he said.

Seriously though, I try not to be a brand-bigot. What I've seen of
the Newton family they're actually pretty cool. A co-worker just
bought an Emate and they're a pretty funky toy and at the price quite
a viable alternative to purchasing a traditional notebook. My Pilot
is small and simple enough that it's gone from being a whizzy toy to
something that I actually use on a daily basis (although I'm finding
the electronic todo list both (a) a useful organisational tool and
(b) a depressing reminder of my workload).

My only concern wrt the Pilot is 3com's stated intention to turn it
into the wonder wireless tool of the late '90s. Which is all very
well for those of you that live in densely populated nations where
RF networking is cheap, but here in NZ CDPD access or similar is
likely to be violently expensive (can anybody say Telecommunications
Monopoly? I knew you could).

						-- C.
--
Craig Harding   Acting Director, Massey University Television Production Centre
     "I don't know about God, I just think we're handmade" - Polly