Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 18:53:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Post-egcs switch console problems

I just cvsupped a few hours ago and rebuild world and the kernel.  After
the build, I noticed that my CD-ROM drives no longer worked, corrected the
kernel config file to use wcd0 instead of acd0, and while I was at it,
updated the bootloader config as per the instructions in
/usr/src/sys/boot/README.  Upon rebooting with the new kernel, I attempted
to log in, but random text began appearing on the console, and then the
machine ceased to be responsive. I power-cycled, logged in, started x,
putzed around, switched back to the console, left for a while, and
returned to find the console hosed again.  It seemed to be accepting
keystrokes, as I could produce audio, but the display would not change.

Anyone else having this problem?  Any clues as to what might be wrong?

--
Brian Buchanan                                     brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU