Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 12:04:53 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>, Andre Albsmeier <andre@akademie3000.de>, Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd with other filesystems

On Sunday,  1 October 2000 at  2:28:09 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Greg Writes:
>> None of the partitions is special except for 'c'.  By convention we
>> put root file systems on 'a' and swap on 'b', but nothing relies on
>> this convention.
>
> The kernel and other files loaded by the loader myst be below
> the 1024 cylinder boundary on the disk, since the FrrBSD boot
> loader, unlike Linux's LILO, can not read past cylinder 1024,
> since it does not understand how to make LBA BIOS calls
> properly.

This is no longer the case.  The restriction was lifted a few months
back.

>>> i dont quite know why it is still possible doing a newfs on a 'c'
>>> partition, since the partition type is 'unused' and not
>>> '4.2BSD'. newfs should check this and throw an error while providing
>>> an expert-only-feature command line option to explicitly override
>>> it.
>>
>> I think this is a bug in newfs.  It should only create file systems on
>> partitions of type 4.2BSD.  Does anybody disagree?  Otherwise I'll fix
>> it.
>
> I have several systems, where the entirety of the disk (the "c"
> partition) is mounted as a single file system.

You can do it, but it's not a good idea.  I'd like to see a good
reason for doing this.

> So long as this is done right, such that I can tell it that the "c"
> partition is of type "4.2BSD", and so long as the sysinstall and
> other tools do the right thing, it doesn't matter to me if you fix
> it.

<bde>
There is no way to do this right.
</bde>

>>> it is a bad thing[tm] to be able to wedge every single blockdev in your
>>> system by (ab)using newfs.
>>
>> Agreed.
>
> This appears to be a problem with not checking the label for
> overlap, since a mounted FS should not be spam'able under any
> circumstances.  Protecting people from spam'ming unmounted FSs by
> pounding on "c" might be a laudable goal, but provides only a tiny
> amount of additional protection.

This is a separate issue.  Yes, disklabel should warn about a number
of things, including overlapping partitions and incorrect partition
types (c should be "unused", because by definition it overlaps all
other partitions).

Greg