Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 10:57:07 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RFC 822 misconceptions

On Wednesday,  4 November 1998 at 13:55:17 -0500, Steve Friedrich wrote:
> I read Greg's "Using Internet mail" at http://www.lemis.com/email.html
>
> I then went and read RFC822.  It appears to me that RFC822 explicitly
> states:
>
> 3.1.  GENERAL DESCRIPTION
>
>           A message consists of header fields and, optionally, a body.
>      The  body  is simply a sequence of lines containing ASCII charac-
>      ters.  It is separated from the headers by a null line  (i.e.,  a
>      line with nothing preceding the CRLF).
>
> The line length issue only applies to header fields, which the message
> body is not.

There's nothing in the quotation above which addresses this issue.

>      3.4.8.  FOLDING LONG HEADER FIELDS
>
>         Each header field may be represented on exactly one line  con-
>         sisting  of the name of the field and its body, and terminated
>         by a CRLF; this is what the parser sees.  For readability, the
>         field-body  portion of long header fields may be "folded" onto
>         multiple lines of the actual field.  "Long" is commonly inter-
>         preted  to  mean greater than 65 or 72 characters.  The former
>         length serves as a limit, when the message is to be viewed  on
>         most  simple terminals which use simple display software; how-
>         ever, the limit is not imposed by this standard.
>
>         Note:  Some display software often can selectively fold lines,
>                to  suit  the display terminal.  In such cases, sender-
>                provided  folding  can  interfere  with   the   display
>                software.
>
> Can anyone point out where I have misinterpreted the RFC??

Well, you've quoted two sections of a very long document.  I can't see
what relevance they have to the issue at hand.

> It appears to me that RFC822 does not preclude HTML formatting,

Indeed.  To quote:

   Note:  This standard is NOT intended to dictate the internal for-
            mats  used  by sites, the specific message system features
            that they are expected to support, or any of  the  charac-
            teristics  of  user interface programs that create or read
            messages.

At no point do I say that HTML attachments are prohibited by the RFCs.
In http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html, I make a
recommendation not to use them, with certain exceptions.

     Use HTML attachments only for web pages. Many mailers allow you
     to send messages in text/html format by default. HTML is not an
     appropriate format for mail messages: it's intended for the
     Web. Of course, if you want to send somebody a web page, this is
     the way to do it.

> or lines longer than 72 chars.

RFC 822 doesn't say this, either.  As you can see from
http://www.lemis.com/email/email-rfc.html, the maximum line length is
specified in RFC 821:

            text line

               The maximum total length of a text line including the
               <CRLF> is 1000 characters (but not counting the leading
               dot duplicated for transparency).

This corresponds to a paragraph of about 14 lines of conventional 70
character text.  It's quite possible to exceed this limit with
Microsoft's mail conventions.

> I am not suggesting that we can't/shouldn't, by convention, use
> Greg's suggestions, just that he can't use RFC822 to back up his
> desire.

It's not a "desire", it's in the specifications.  And at no time did I
quote RFC 822 in this context.  You appear to have misread one web
page and not read the other.  Maybe you'd like to comment on the
content rather than on your misinterpretation of it.

Greg