Date:      Tue, 04 Jan 2000 21:32:51 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PORTS-System and aborted download

Dear readers,

I follow two "methods" (too ambitious a word ;-) when using the ports
mechanism:

I) if running X, I leave *untouched* my terminal window containing the
make command(s), and I connect to my ISP once again. After a few
seconds, the interrupted download is automatically resumed.
Of course, this "method" requires your physical presence at your
monitor.

II) if not running X, I login as root to at least *two* consoles.
If my connection drops, I can launch it again from the other
console(s).

To tell the truth, I often run, concurrently (as additional user),
another few more graphical sessions (KDE and/or Gnome), depending on
my mood (384 MB RAM on my 'puter) ...

Remark
If you use ppp and the -ddial option, no problems will arise.
You will be able to go and have a coffee (or even dinner ;-) while the
port is being downloaded and installed.
Of course, in this unattended case, "man script" is MANDATORY.
To kill a "ppp -ddial myISP" process, you might want to use a suitable
combination of "grep" and "awk" commands.
I.e. "man grep" and "man awk" ;-)

Mind you, apart from Gnome (or KDE, depending on my mood) and a few
editing tools, I run *NO* other application as root. I am in fact
logged in at least as one other user, sometimes as another 3 or four
users ;-)))

I hope this will help.

Best regards,
Salvo

N.B. myjokingdomain =3D=3D> neomedia.it to reply.

  * Windows: brain-dead limits  *
  * BeOS: limited apps          *
  * Linux: unlimited (mindset)  *
  * FreeBSD: no limits          *