Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 1998 13:07:56 -0400
From:      Roman Katsnelson <romank@graphnet.com>
To:        Gary Landers <gary@tein.net>, "q's" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Simple UNIX question

Gary Landers wrote:

> how do I create shortcuts or aliases or whatever it is called when a
> file name in a directory listing refers to another file or location.
>
> a listing in /usr/local/bin show up like this
> perl@ -> /usr/local/bin/perl5.00404

the command is ln (for link) -- you can create a hard link or a symbolic
link. a hard link will physically copy the file to be linked to to the
other location. a symbolic link will create a different file which will
only point to the original file.

to create a hard link called myfoo.la to /usr/local/bin/foo.la in your
current directory type:

ln /usr/local/bin/foo.la myfoo.la

to make it a symbolic link type:

ln -s /usr/local/bin/foo.la myfoo.la

Good luck,

man ln further info as always,

Roman

        |         Roman Katsnelson                |
        |         UNIX Network Engineer           |
      _ |         Graphnet, Inc.                  | _
    / / |  "Consistency is the hobgoblin of       | \ \
  _( (_ |   small minds.                          | _) )_
 (((\ \>|_/-)         -- Ralph Waldo Emerson  (-\_|</ /)))
  \       /    Email: romank@graphnet.com       \       /
   \    _/    Member of http://www.wait.org      \_    /