Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 17:39:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP support

> For those wondering why it's problematic, you should take a look at
> an AlphaServer 8400 sometime - it can have multiple primary PCI busses,
> each with its own physical address space, and each of these primary
> PCI busses can host an EISA/ISA bus.  NetBSD runs on this system, but
> it wouldn't have been possible if we hadn't paid careful attention to
> getting bus space accounting right.

Yes.  Back when the FreeBSD PCI code was just reaching it's first
revision of maturity, thanks to Stefan, Jeffrey Hsu and I both had
loaner Alpha machines.  The discussion between us and CGD of NetBSD
about ISA busses bridged off of PCI busses on Alpha instead of vice
versa was a big cognitive leap for people not used to the idea of
"it has ISA and PCI busses, but the ISA bus is bridged off the PCI,
not vice versa".  The idea of the PCI being inferiorly linked off
the ISA was just too well ingrained in the Intel mindset.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.