Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 2017 18:58:59 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com>
To:        Rafal Lukawiecki <raf@rafal.net>, freebsd-cloud@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMI building AMI

On 12/27/17 07:53, Rafal Lukawiecki wrote:
> Is there a list of AWS AMI ids (and regions) containing Colin’s AMI builder
> AMI? The 2015 article
> http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2015-11-21-FreeBSD-AMI-builder-AMI.html
> <http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2015-11-21-FreeBSD-AMI-builder-AMI.html>;
> mentions one in us-east-1 ami-28682f42. Are there more? Or a documented
> procedure on using RE tools to achieve the same?

The blog post explains how to build an AMI Builder AMI by launching a release
AMI with the right user-data.

> I am particularly interested in recompiling 11.1 release kernel, adding a
> good few packages (to speed up instance launch time) and creating an AMI
> out of that. Of course, I can take the lazy route of building a normal AWS
> AMI, which will not be as “clean and unused” as the one suggested in
> Colin’s article. But if there is a current way to do the cleaner thing, I
> would like to know, please.

I can build an 11.1 AMI Builder AMI tomorrow if you'd like.  Using this will
be better than trying to clean a "live" instance, since even if you delete
all the files you don't want to include, they'll still be lingering in the
free disk space.  If this includes AWS keys, this could have very bad results.

--
Colin Percival