Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:45:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
Subject:   Re: DISABLE_PSE & DISABLE_PG_G still needed?

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 15-Nov-2002 Wesley Morgan wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Vallo Kallaste wrote:
> >
> >> Just finished '-j2 buildworld' and it did well with kernel which had
> >> the options enabled. Therefore I suppose that those options are
> >> still absolutely necessary to make use of -current system. These
> >
> > This may be a bit overstated. I removed those options from my kernel a few
> > weeks ago and have no problems at all. Are you certain the problem is not
> > specific to a particular CPU?
>
> It only happens with P4's.  I haven't seen it locally on a p4 test
> machine at work that I have built test releases on.  Also, it would be
> nice to see if just adding one of the options fixed the problems.  As
> for NOTES, those options should not be enabled in NOTES as they would
> defeat the purpose of LINT since they disable code.

Does this apply generally to all P4's, or just a subset?  If all, it may
be we want to add a P4-workaround to GENERIC so that P4's work better ouf
of the box.  If it's a select few, I wonder if there's some way to test
for the problem early in the boot...

One of the recurring themes here has (a) been P4 processors, and (b) been
a fear that because of timing changes introduced by the DISABLE_FOO flags,
the real bug is still there, but less visible in the tests people are
running.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories