Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 19:36:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        grog@lemis.de
Cc:        "Patrick S. Gardella" <patrick@ChristianWord.org>, freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is Sendmail PID?

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997 grog@lemis.de wrote:
> Could it be that you're running a different version of sendmail?  The
> standard place is /etc/sendmail.pid.  If it's not in either of these
> places, are you sure that sendmail is really running?

No, I'm seeing this too. 2.2-RELEASE

ns1:/usr/home/dan $ ps -ax|grep send
 6954  ??  Is     0:00.13 sendmail: accepting connections on port 25 (sendmail)
ns1:/usr/home/dan $ cd /var/run
ns1:/var/run $ ls
cron.pid        dmesg.boot      ld.so.hints     msqld.pid       syslog.pid
dev.db          inetd.pid       log             named.pid       utmp
ns1:/var/run $ cd /etc
ns1:/etc $ ls sendmail.pid
ls: sendmail.pid: No such file or directory
ns1:/etc $ uname -a
FreeBSD ns1.beach.net 2.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2-RELEASE #0: Sun Mar 23 10:59:51
PST 1997     root@ns1.beach.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/BEACH-NS  i386

ns1:/etc $ sendmail -d0.10
Version 8.8.5
 Compiled with: LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NETINET
			 NETUNIX NEWDB QUEUE SCANF SMTP USERDB XDEBUG
			 OS Defines: HASFCHMOD HASFLOCK HASGETDTABLESIZE HASGETUSERSHELL
			 HASINITGROUPS HASLSTAT HASSETREUID HASSETRLIMIT HASSETSID
			 HASSETVBUF HASSNPRINTF HASUNAME HASUNSETENV HASWAITPID
			 IDENTPROTO IP_SRCROUTE USESETEUID
Kernel symbols: don't use _PATH_UNIX
Def Conf file: /etc/sendmail.cf
Pid file: /var/run/sendmail.pid
canonical name: ns1.beach.net
		a.k.a.: ns1

safefopen in daemon.c is returning NULL.

safefile(/var/run/sendmail.pid, uid=0, gid=0, flags=c6, mode=200):
	sequence:aliases.files NULL: valid
	No such file or directory
stabapply: trying 1/8bit
	[final dir /var/run uid 3 mode 40755] Permission denied
stabapply: trying 1/binary

Creating an empty /var/run/sendmail.pid gets it to work.  I haven't
tried to figure out why the directory permissions fail.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com