Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 1996 15:18:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@gromit.pinpt.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XF86 & fvwm Problem, Help?

On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Sean J. Schluntz wrote:

> Hello, I have XF86_S3 and fvwm running very well with one strange problem.
> Every time it starts and the login and xterm windows open, and every time I
> open another shell I get the follwing error:
>
> Fatal server error:
> Server is already active for display 0
>         If this server is no longer runing, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
>         and start again.
>
> Then after a delay (30-50 seconds) I get the normal prompt.
>
> This happens even after the system has been restarted and no other
> X-Sessions have been started.  The file .X0-lock does not appear when X is
> not running and only appears after I login and start X.  What can I do?

 Sounds like you are starting your X server in your .profile or
 .cshrc. This is bad.  If you want it to start every time you login ..
 use .login instead.

 You might also look at using xdm instead .. with that you will have
 a graphical login prompt. And it will automagically restart every
 time you logout. The nice thing about this and freebsd is that you
 can still use a text console with syscons.

 -branson

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?