Date:      13 Jul 2000 16:47:18 -0500
From:      rand@meridian-enviro.com (Douglas K. Rand)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can we put softupdates in GENERIC install kernel?

Bill> Installs (or at least the ports tree) are done mounted async, so
Bill> any performance gain from softupdates is already obtained by
Bill> mounting async.

A few weeks ago I did a FreeBSD install using another FreeBSD file
system as the distribution source. Everything worked fine. While it
was installing, I noticed that the file system mounted to get the
distribution from was mounted async, as all the other file systems
were.

I can understand why the destination file systems are done async. But
it seemed alittle dangerous to mount an *existing* FreeBSD file system
used for the distibiution source as async.