Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:52:11 -0700
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FIXED, APPARENTLY k3b incorrectly identifies scsi r/w drive as read-only

I corresponded with Sebastian Trueg, the developer, who had a look, then le=
t=20
me know that the problem had been identified and that he's fixed it. The=20
latest version of k3b (0.12.15) uses "SG IO for scsi commands with newer=20
linux kernels. This should fix problems with scsi device detection." I'll=20
have to wait for the port to see if it works in my case.

This is part of the beauty of open source stuff. I've sent him some Lucky L=
uke=20
off his Amazon wishlist in gratitude.=20

Oliver

On Saturday 25 March 2006 13:38, Oliver Iberien wrote:
> On Saturday 25 March 2006 11:46, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> >
> > Please forgive me for stepping in, but I'm having the same problem,
> > asked sometime ago and did not get any answer.
> >
> > My Yamaha burner is still detected as a read-only device.
> >
> > =A0 bye & Thanks
> > =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0av.
>
> There is a thread here:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-ports/2005-March/021958.ht=
ml

> of someone with a scsi cd-r/w that was giving the same errors. The thread
> goes on to post some kind of fix to a flac decoder:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-ports/2005-March/021969.ht=
ml

> ...but I don't understand how this is related or how it is to be
> implemented.
>
> I have found a number of postings of similar problems with k3b and scsi
> drives dating from after mid-2004, which is when it started happening to
> me, but none gives a fix.

> http://72.14.203.104/search?q=3Dcache:wOJpu0m4BcwJ:k3b.plainblack.com/fee=
dbac
>k%3Ffunc%3Dview%26wid%3D29%26forumId%3D1000%26forumOp%3DviewThread%26forum=
Po
>stId%3D100898+k3b+%22mode+sense%22&hl=3Den&gl=3Dus&ct=3Dclnk&cd=3D1&ie=3DU=
TF-8
> http://www.linuxhardware.de/deutsch/dcoulh/news_38206.html
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-support/2004-June/050551.html
> http://72.14.203.104/search?q=3Dcache:Dh1vQLiRy40J:bbs.cse.yzu.edu.tw/sho=
w.ph
>p%3Ftype%3Dpost%26board%3Dbsd-ports%26pageno%3D15+k3b+%22mode+sense%22&hl=
=3Den
>&gl=3Dus&ct=3Dclnk&cd=3D6&ie=3DUTF-8
> http://lurker.oltrelinux.com/message/20040211.213612.0308c619.en.html
>
> Oliver
>
> > k3b on FreeBSD 6.0 incorrectly identifies my SCSI CD-R/W as read-only. =
It
> > reports "mode sense" failure, which, Plextor tells me, can be a sign of=
> > problem with the drive or the media. I've appended this part of the
> > output at the bottom.

[snip]