Date:       Wed, 09 Aug 2000 16:07:29 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Finding programmers manuals for NICs

I'm trying to adapt a number of NIC drivers to support 802.1q VLANs,
but I'm having problems locating the relevant programming information.
I'm particularly interested in the following:

Card: SMC9432TX (EtherPower II 10/100)  Chip: SMC83c170(?)
	The search engine on the SMC site just gave me an asp error
	and there's no obvious developer documentation.  Based on
	a study of if_tx.c, I think VLAN support is just a matter
	of changing the initialisation for
	(struct epic_rx_desc).buflen.

Card: Intel EtherPower Pro/100+  Chip: 82559
	I've found the datasheet at developer.intel.com.  It says
	"set the Long Receive OK bit in the Configuration command
	(described in the 10/100 Mbit Family Software Developer's
	Manual)".  Unfortunately, I can't find any trace of that
	manual.  There is a VLAN patch at
	http://www.euitt.upm.es/~pjlobo/fxp-mtu-patch-4.x but it
	just saves the bad frames, which is different to the
	comment in the datasheet.

Card: DEC DE500-BA  Chip: DEC/Intel 21143
	The preliminary datasheet is at developer.intel.com.  This
	contains absolutely no information on programming the chip
	and I can't find any programming information on the intel
	site.  I can't find anything in if_dc.c that suggests any
	framesize limit, but there is one because it drops long
	frames.  Presumably it needs a bit toggled somewhere.

Card: 3Com 3c905-TX
	(I can't easily check the actual chip).  I was unable to
	locate anything useful on www.3com.com.  There is a patch
	for the 3c905B-TX at http://www.physics.purdue.edu/~csg/xl-vlan.patch
	but I'm not sure if the max packet size register is also
	present in the 3c905.

(I'm also working on the TI ThunderLAN used as the Compaq Netelligent,
but I've managed to find the programming documentation for that).

Any assistance would be welcomed.

Peter