Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 97 18:25:40 PST
From:      raj@cisco.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Running on a Ascentia P50 CTS12?

I'm looking at running FreeBSD and XFree86 on an AST Ascentia P50
CTS12.  This system has a 12.1" screen (800x600).  I talked to someone
recently who ran this on the same AST Ascentia P50 but with a 11.3"
screen and said he had no problems.  (Surprisingly, he even had no
problems running XFree86 3.1.2 on this eventhough it uses a GD7543
video chip which wasn't supported until 3.2 and even then supposedly
still has some problems.  He even tells me his system uses the same
video chip.  He tells me he used a compatible config and I have a copy
of his config file.)

This sounds good but I'm hesitating because I can't find any company
which would allow me to return the system if it didn't work out.
So...

Given that someone has already run this on an AST Ascentia P50 with a
smaller screen, what's the chance of my having problems on this newer
model with a larger screen?  I'm worried about possible minor changes
in things like CDROM controllers, memory cache chips, etc.

What do you think?

/raj