Date:      Sat, 09 Feb 2002 10:50:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, John <john@starfire.mn.org>
Subject:   Re: requesting guidance for updating the RocketPort driver

On 09-Feb-02 Julian Elischer wrote:
> he infrastructure needed for a new driver can be taken from
> the sample driver in /usr/share/examples/drivers/make_device_driver.sh
> IN -CURRENT. (use cvdweb on the website to get it)
>
> that will at least get rid of the 'shims' stuff.

There is already a newer driver in current.  I've backported it but it didn't
help me get my RocketPort working. :-P  (I think my rocketport has other issues
though as other people have had success with the cards on the old driver.)  The
backport is fairly easy.  You need to bascially take the src/sys/dev/rp/
directory from current, merge the appropriate lines from sys/conf/files (and
remove references to i386/isa/rp.c in files.i386 and files.pc98), change all
'struct thread *td's to 'struct proc *p', and change 'suser_td(td)' to
'suser(p)'.  Finally, you need to sys/i386/isa/edit isa_compat.h and remove
references to rpdriver.  If someone with a workign RP card can test that that
works and commit the changes, that would be nice. :)