Date:      Sat, 04 May 1996 17:15:07 -0700
From:      Wayne Tamagi <wtamagi@unixg.ubc.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot up problem

Hello I am having problems with installing Freebsd.  I have installed it
many times and have come up unsuccessful throughout the job.  My IDE drive
is partitioned and I have Windows 95 on the C drive and I did an install
from C drive onto my D drive.  The D drive is dedicated for Freebsd.  I
stripped down my configuration settings for all my hardware. I have been
doing a minimal installation.  I've read some troubleshooting and it states
it is likely it is the disk geometry.  So I checked it after the first
installation and it was wrong so I set it up to the assummed settings.  I
went into CMOS to find it.  I have an IBM OS/2 IDE drive 730MB.  In CMOS it
showed the geometry as 1416/16/63 (cylinders/heads/sectos per track).  I
used these setting and re-installed FreeBsd and bootup and the results were
even worse!  At the bootup manager when I enter F2 it did not go to:

>>FreeBSD Boot...
  Use hd(1,a)/kernel to boot sd0 when wd0 is also installed
  etc...

My computer would just hang and I can see the hard drive is running
constantly (red light on front is on).  Can anyone advise me what I can do?

  Wayne