Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 22:43:18 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Full duplex ethernet

> Which ether-card drivers currently support full duplex?

de, fxp, tl, xl, tx at least.  Basically, the high-performance cards.

> Recently, someone here said that full duplex for 10Base-T was a waste
> of time.  But after some research it's beginning to look like that's
> not true at all.
>
> 10BT switches are available, and cost way less than 100BT switches.
>
> I've gotten reports from several places saying that in practice, switched
> full-duplex 10BT is faster than half-duplex hub-based 100BT.

I can produce staistics for just about anything, including a
pathalogical case where you may get "better performance" from a 10bT
switch than a 100bT hub, but unless you're taking your particular work
profile into account, on average you will lose.

> Since 100BT switches aren't really affordable yet, full duplex 10BT
> sounds like a winner.

Less than US$600 for an 8-port 100bT switch, less than US$300 for a
16-port 100bT hub.  Be wary of hubs with single switched "server ports".

> Do any of the 10/100 cards support full duplex in their 10BT mode?

Most if not all, AFAIK.  But the cost argument for 10bT just isn't
there anymore.