Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:30:27 -0500
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@intranet.com.mx>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OFF Topic. FreeBSD and Android Development

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 05:46:13PM -0600, Jorge Biquez wrote:
> >
> > I am interested in learning about Android Development. I am
> > searching information on the web, documentation about how to start
> > learning about Android Development. Any links or tips to look at are
> > more than welcomed.
> >
> > Talking with a friend he told me he is learning using some tools he
> > found but he is running them under Ubuntu.
>
> What tools are these?  If you provide specifics, we might be able to
> provide information on whether the tools he uses work on FreeBSD as well.
>

> > If any of you is developing for Android using Freebsd as your
> > platform. Can you tell me about your experience? Tips and advice on
> > what to use to start are welcome.
>
> I am not (yet) developing for Android on FreeBSD, but I plan to give it a
> try in the very near future.  My first steps in that direction will
> probably involve writing code in Ruby, to be packaged and distributed to
> be used with the Scripting Layer For Android.  SL4A uses JRuby, which
> means that Ruby applications for Android that use SL4A should have access
> to the standard Java libraries on Android as well (in theory: I have not
> tested this extensively yet).
>
> I am considering graduating to Java/Dalvik development for Android at
> some point, but I am not sure whether that would be necessary (or even
> advantageous) for my purposes, at this point.  I am interested in any
> information your query might draw forth here, though, so I'll be watching
> this thread.
>

> > I am not sure if this kind of off topic could be of interested to
> > the list so please feel free to answer me directly .
>
> I think this is, in fact, on-topic for this list.  It is a question
> particular to FreeBSD, which is the point of the freebsd-questions
> mailing list, as I understand it.
>
> --
> Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]

The following pages may be useful if Free Pascal is used as development
environment :

http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_JVM_Android_Development
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Android_Interface
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Android_Interface/Using_the_Android_SDK%2C_Emulator_and_Phones
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Android_Interface/OpenGL_ES_GUI
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Android_Programming
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Android_Interface/Native_Android_GUI
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Custom_Drawn_Interface/Android

where Free Pascal and Lazarus are available in FreeBSD ports .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk