Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2001 02:40:39 -0700
From:      "Joesh Juphland" <part_lion@hotmail.com>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   tarball vs. make world - differences ?

Hello,

Previously I have followed the man pages advice and prepared my jail file
system trees with 'make world'.

However, I recently tried just tarring up my own filesystem, all except for
/proc, and untarring it in the jail tree.  It seems to work just fine.

Is there any reason / precaution not to do it this way ?  Any opinions or
comments on the differences between these methods (if any) are appreciated.
For instance, am I missing something or breaking something by not havine a
/proc in the jail ?  Or by duplicating all the dirs like /usr and /etc from
the host system to the jail ? (obviously I change rc.conf once I untar it,
and perhaps change passwd, etc.)

thanks,

Joesh