Date:      Tue, 09 Jan 2001 18:35:15 -0600
From:      "Derrick T. Woolworth" <coeus@servetheweb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   D-Link DFE-650TX PCMCIA

Hi,

I'm running 4.1.1-RELEASE on my laptop - a Toshiba Satellite 2545CDS
(PIII333 with 128MB RAM).

When I boot, my pccard slots report <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on
pcic0 for pccard0 and pccard1 (I'm assuming this means these are lousy
pcmcia slots?)

I'm using a D-Link DFE-650TX PCMCIA NIC - which is recognized fine as ed1
on IRQ 9 mem 0xd0000.  I get a link light after booting up, but no other
lights (10/100 or half/full duplex light).  When I try to map an ip:

ifconfig ed1 inet 209.83.199.21 netmask 0xffffff00

The kernel immediately reports /dernel: ed1: device timeout

and it seems that the card is dead.

Any help here?

I tried using a LinkSys card, but with very similar results.  I even tried
a more expensive Xircom card (although the d-link card looks a lot better
for $40.00 compared to 3Com at $250.00+).

Thanks,