Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2012 09:23:51 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Error after upgrading to php 5.4.6

On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 13:52:45 +0200
Bas Smeelen articulated:

> On 09/03/2012 01:26 PM, Darrell Betts wrote:
> > My php pages will no longer render in a web browser after upgrading
> > to php 5.4.6. Used port upgrade to do this. Running apache
> > 2.2.22_6. Checked the error log and this is what I receive
> >
> > [notice] child pid 38232 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
> >
> > This does this on all php pages.
> > Any idea how to fix this error?
> >
> I had the same issue on a 8.3-STABLE machine.
> On other machines php is still at 5.4.3 and does not have this
> problems.
>
> On the machine where 5.4.6 gave the problems I completely removed php
> and installed lang/php53 (5.3.16) which solved the issue
>
> If you are using portmaster -b to update ports, then a backup of the
> previous port will be in /usr/ports/packages and you can reinstall
> the previous version

I completely removed all traces of PHP from my system, including
configuration files, made sure to run "make config" in each PHP port I
intended to install and then installed the latest version of PHP
without a single problem. I believe, although I can not prove it, that
the problem is not in the PHP port but rather in the update process.
Running "portmanager" with the "-p" option might take care of some
ports not being updated correctly with PHP also. Again, there is
nothing wrong with the latest version but rather in the way it is
presently running on your system.

--
Jerry ♔