Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 18:22:11 -0500
From:      "Jason" <jasonc@concentric.net>
To:        "Jaime Kikpole" <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
Cc:        "Brooks Davis" <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cable Modem Support

> On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Jason wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply.  Shooting my ISP is something I have thought about
for
> > months now :).  But need them because at least they do allow me high
speed
> > win98 acess which is better than nothing.
>
> If you're really set on using Unix, you might want to consider an
> eMachines $400 computer to use as a router-like device.  I've heard that
> Windows 98 SE has something called "Internet Sharing" which sounded a lot
> like a weird NAT/DHCP system.

That is my current plan.  But for the record Internet Sharing in Windows is
nothing more than a web proxy.  It wont forward ANY other protocol.  I will
probably continue to use Midpoint Gold on Win98SE.  I just got a copy of
Win2k Professional, Server, and Advanced Server.  They are officially
release to manufacture now and it has all NAT/DHCP features found in NT4 and
some enhancements previously found only in BSD like systems.  I plan to test
that as my new gateway box which will allow me to use my new BSD box (still
in the works) to run most of the server daemons.

> > As for ISDN....it seems the ISDN uses the same sort of conditioned line
as
> > DSL.  So it would cost exactly the same to install either one.  I have
spoke
> > with Covad and the ILEC here many times over this issue.  They seem very
> > set.  Its odd that a T1 can be installed for under $500 and cost around
> > $269/month....but Covad refuses to accept a Point to Point line ordered
by
> > me for their service.  They say Contracts with the ILEC prevents me from
> > providing my own Local Loop.
>
> If you can get the line itself from the telco instead of the ISP
> perhaps you could then find an ISP somewhere else on that telco's network
> which would be willing to send IP services over the telco's system and
> into your T1.  I couldn't tell from your letter if Covad was the telco or
> ISP.

Covad is neither.  To get DSL you need three companies.  ILEC, DSL Provider,
ISP.  the ILEC provides the Loop to the CPE.  The DSL Provider is
responsible for the all the CPE and connecting the ILEC to the ISP.  The ISP
does what you would expect and ISP to do.

You order with an ISP....they are partnered with one of three major DSL
providers....Covad, Northpoint, and Rhythems.  The ISP orders with the DSL
Provider who are colocated in most ILEC COs acorss the US.  They order the
physical loop from that ILEC.

My problem is that the ILEC Covad uses has reported it will cost $7000+ for
them to do the work....so Covad calls the ISP and tells them it will cost
$7000+ to complete....then the ISP calls me with the same news...then I call
my lawyer to see if the 1 year contract is worded well enough for me to file
suit  :)

> > anyhow....will have to wait out this Cable modem issue until the new two
way
> > modems are released....they told me they would be out in 98....still
> > waiting.
>
> Good luck.  I know that waiting for high speed connections is
> really depressing.  You should ask your ISP if they'll support an ISDN
> connection, though.  Those *do* work over FreeBSD, even if the ISP doesn't
> officially support them.  Just reboot into Windows while the techs are
> there and then reboot back into FreeBSD and try to configure it.  You can
> even avoid the $0.01/channel/minute charges by using data-over-voice for a
> 112 Kbps connection instead of a data-over-data connection of 128Kbps.

ISDN uses the same sort of conditioned telephone line DSL does.  So the ILEC
has told me it will cost $7000+ per line to complete such an order.  Per
minute charges do not apply to ISDN in Michigan.  The MPSC has never allowed
that and treat the lines like any voice grade service.  There can be a per
call charge but most ISDN plans offer so many free calls per month.  A
regular dual channel ISDN line with 50 free calls is about $50/Month here.

Most ISPs charge $200+/Month for Dedicated ISDN.  And have hourly limits per
month for the regular dialup ISDN services.  I however found a ISDN ISP in
New York that offers nationwide access and will allow true unlimited (24/7)
access on their dialup ISDN service.  They just dont guarentee you will
never be disconnected.  It costs about $40/month for dual channel and they
can even offer up to 5 static IPs om this service for a bit extra.

Thanks for the info....you have been extrmemly helpful....even if its to
tell me "too bad your up a creek"

Jason Cribbins
MGM Services - Part of the FtS Productions team.
"Garryowen!!"