Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 10:26:15 +0200
From:      "Thomas E. Zander" <riggs@hadiko.de>
To:        ComputersUSA!WebMaster <webmaster@shopcusa.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: mplayer-0.18

Hi,

Am Sa , dem 25. Aug 2001, um 12:26 -0700 Uhr schrubte ComputersUSA! WebMast=
er
zum Thema [FreeBSD Port: mplayer-0.18]:

> Question, is *.wmv supported yet under freebsd?

According to your output it seemed okay.

> install_fs: Operation not supported
> Couldn't install fs segment, expect segfault
> Did you reconfigure the kernel with "options USER_LDT"?
> Set_LDT
> Bus error (core dumped)
>=20
> I doubt the "options USER_LDT" pretains to freebsd, it sounds like someth=
ing
> for linux.. but is it for freebsd? and does it work? am I going to notice
> any loss in stability? etc?

Chris was right, if you wanted to use any of these players like mplayer
or avifile, you need a kernel with USER_LDT.
I can't say that it tends to a loss in stability. For me (and probably
most) it works fine. I think that more and more upcoming applications
need that feature, and because of this it is default in -CURRENT.

When building mplayer, make sure to define correct makeoptions for your
CPU to make the decoder work stable.

Regards
Riggs

--=20
- Die Welt schl=E4ft tief schon lange Zeit | Sent with RiggiSmooth [tm] -
-- Mich nur flieht die Dunkelheit        | ------------------------- --
--- Denn per Infrarot seh ich            | just to fit your         ---
---- Die Nacht ist wirklich widerlich.   | primitive screen.       ----