Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:29:53 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Andrew Thompson <thompsa@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vlans and cloning

--8X7/QrJGcKSMr1RN

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 08:27:14AM +1200, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 09:04:41AM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:

> > >=20
> > > /me wants to do:
> > >=20
> > > "ifconfig em0.1 inet 192.168.2.2/24"
> > >=20
> > > Even simpler.  And yes, this works already but only if if_vlan.ko
> > > was loaded before or compiled into the kernel.  It doesn't do auto-
> > > load.
> >=20
> > Unless cause ifconfig to autoload all if_ modules when cloning fails,
> > it's impossiable to support this without having if_vlan loaded.  That
> > said the current plan it to eliminate if_vlan and integrate vlan support
> > directly into if_ethersubr.c to allow use to correctly handle the
> > default vlan case among otherthings.
>=20
> Is anyone working on this? The bridge code needs access to the vlan tag
> to properly hash the address as each vlan is a seperate broadcast
> domain, this would be much easier with vlan merged to if_ethersubr.c.

I think it ended up with Robert's name on it at the last devsummit, but
he's got a lot of higher priority stuff on his plate.  It doesn't look
like this change would be all that much work.  The one thing that might
be worth investigating is seeing if there's a sane way to make vlan tag
parsing part of ether_input, but keep if_vlan.c around as a module for
actual support of trunks so we get most of the architectural benefits of
correctly treating vlan tags as part of the spec, but let embedded
users who don't need trunks avoid the overhead.

-- Brooks

--=20

--8X7/QrJGcKSMr1RN

--8X7/QrJGcKSMr1RN--