Date:      Sun, 01 Aug 1999 17:45:58 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Seeking Tutorial on Routing

A couple of nights ago, I came up against the limits of both my knowlege
and also the FreeBSD documentation I have available to me (which includes
a copy of `The Complete FreeBSD').

(It was actually a rather annoying experience... not only to not know, but
seemingly not to be able to find out the things I wanted to know.)

Ok. So where can I go to learn everything there is to know about routing
in relation to FreeBSD (2.2.x and later)?

Specifically, I'd like to know a lot more about all of those funny things
I see when I do "netstat -n -r".

In particular, I'd like to learn all about "cloning", the loopback interface,
what things might cause a link to be marked as "down", and also the underlying
mechanics that come into play when one assigns multiple IP addresses to a
single networking card.

(A lot of this stuff seems to be in the "black art" category.  Bu that's
just my impression.)