Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:57:50 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   (oops!) converting sound from /dev/audio format to /dev/dsp

Is there a formula to convert a sound captured from /dev/audio to something
that will work well when piped into /dev/dsp?  I did a quick 'gnuplot' of
the values of both, and don't see any obvious correlations.

I made the mistake of capturing 15 hours of non-repeatable audio from
/dev/audio before I realized that /dev/dsp captured sounds in an easier to
process form (the goal is to be able to pipe the audio to gained by mistake
from /dev/audio and be able to pipe that to /dev/dsp and get recognizable
audio).

it was the default 8-bit/8K digitization...

--
Zach Heilig -- zach@gaffaneys.com
  A horse without a nose... never wins. (unknown)