Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 09:10:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/23910: Handbook Chapter 14. Sound -- some fixes

The following reply was made to PR docs/23910; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>, cg@freebsd.org
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org,
	Moses Moore <jm-moses@home.com>, admin@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 00:10:18 +0000

 Cameron,

 I'm bringing you in on this, as FreeBSD's "Mr Audio".

 On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 08:44:25PM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
 > >Number:         23910
 > >Category:       docs
 > >Synopsis:       Handbook Chapter 14. Sound -- some fixes
 >
 > 	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/sound.html really proved useful
 > 	when I, today, for the first time I configured a soundcard with
 > 	FreeBSD. However, I stumbled over two (minor) issues:
 >
 > 	1. For on-board sound "cards", one also wants to add
 > 	     options PNPBIOS
 > 	   to the kernel config.

 Is that right?  If so, on which versions of FreeBSD?  My -current laptop
 doesn't need it, and the built in audio on there works OK.

 > 	2. `cat /dev/sndstat` did not work until I executed
 > 	      cd /dev ; sh MAKEDEV snd0
 >
 > 	   Before MAKEDEV I got "No such file or directory"; afterwards
 > 	      FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Dec 28 2000 19:02:45
 > 	      Installed devices:
 > 	      pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> at io 0xc400 irq 11 (1p/1r channels duplex)
 > 	   That is, it was exactly the other around than stated in section
 > 	   14.4 of the manual.

 This does seem to be a problem.  Perhaps we could pull out sndstat from
 all the other snd* devices in MAKEDEV, and then say something like

   You must determine which set of sound devices to make, depending on
   your audio hardware.  Fortunately, the audio driver can tell you
   what is required.

   Run the following, to create a /dev/sndstat device, and query it.

     # cd /dev
     # sh MAKEDEV sndstat
     # cat sndstat

   [...]

 and then continue with the rest of the text as normal?