Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:47:07 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        "'Mike Squires'" <mikes@sir-alan.chem.indiana.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Subject:   Re: Setting Intel Pro100B to half duplex

>> >Specify the 100BaseTX media w/o the "full-duplex" media option and it
>> will
>> >use half-duplex.  Auto is notorious for not properly detecting things.
>> >-Chris
>>
>	Read: set the media type (whereby disabling auto-neg), it will
>default to half-duplex.

Ok so you're saying that locking the media type to 100baseTX will disable
autonegotiation for duplex.  I was considering speed and duplex to be
independent.  David, is this really true?

>> >   The fxp device does default to auto-sense, but if you hard configure
the
>> >other end then [NWAY] autonegotiation is disabled, and thus whenever you
do
>> >that you have to set both ends if you want to be sure it is correct. The
>> >default without autonegotiation is half-duplex.
>>
>	Read: disable auto-neg (by setting the media type), it will default
>to half-duplex.

Well that's not how I read it.  (But it might be what he meant.)  I took
it to mean:  "Hard-configuring the other end will stop the other end
from sending negotiation information.  If that happens, the fxp device
will receive no information from the other end and will not be able to
make an informed decision.  In this case fxp defaults to half-duplex."

-Mitch