Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:38:26 +0000
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        Anthony Hill <ahill@blacksun.net.au>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: subnet alias for ethernet device wont work

Anthony Hill wrote:

> Sorry for bringing up such a basic problem, but this is starting to drive
> me nuts.
>
> I am using a FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE #0 box as a router and server for my
> local network, and have been assigned a /26 subnet (210.8.131.128/26) by
> my employer. I have assigned a few numbers to various hosts on the network
> and everything seems to be routing fine.
>
> However I need to bind a few more addresses to the FreeBSD box (for
> virtual web servers) and dont seem to be able to get them to work.
>
> eg :-
> bash# ifconfig ed1
> ed1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 210.8.131.129 netmask 0xffffffc0 broadcast 210.8.131.191
>         ether 00:00:01:30:53:91
> bash#
>
> ..ok 210.8.131.129 is the primary address of the router/server and works
> fine. So now I try to add another address to the ethernet card :-
>
> bash# ifconfig ed1 inet 210.8.131.132 netmask 0xffffffc0 alias
> ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists
<<rest of message deleted>

I don't know why you can't ping it, but you can get rid of the "File
exists" message by making your alias netmask a full fledged 0xffffffff
instead of the 0xffffffc0 netmask.  I believe it is trying to add
another static route for your /26 network, but sees that an entry
already exists.  Changing the netmask on the alias should get rid of the
warning message.

Aaron out.