Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 2014 21:27:45 -0500
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        precutcolours@mailcan.com, freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install Tips for Newbie with FreeBSD 10

On 01/03/14 20:41, precutcolours@mailcan.com wrote:
> Nathan you are helpful, prompt, and appreciated.
>
> GPT allows the hard disk to boot other systems. They have their own
> BIOS/firmware needs. Also, I've dealt with APM on *nix, and it's too
> much pain and suffering. Never mind Windows or end users. Newer Macs use
> GPT too.
>
> I suppose with $HOME and /tmp and caches in RAM, I could install BSD
> wholesale to the 12 GB flash stick, though upgrades would be an all-day
> chore given the awful writing speed and compilation.
>
> I had the impression ZFS support was more mature? It sounds like much in
> BSD still doesn't quite work with ZFS, if the fs itself works fine.
> Almost to a point of best avoided for exotic setups like mine on odd
> CPUs like mine?
>
> Do you have tips for UFS on the flash stick? I know exactly what to do
> using ext4 on Linux, but not really with UFS. Matter of fact, for ext4 I
> do e.g.
>
> mkfs.ext4 -v -t ext4 -b 2048 -i 16384 -I 128 -m 1 -O ^has_journal -L
> MyDiskName  /dev/sdxN
>
> with /etc/mke2fs.conf
>
> features = extent,flex_bg,uninit_bg,dir_nlink,extra_isize
> auto_64-bit_support = 1
>
> Thanks

ZFS has some odd corners, especially in (relatively) exotic scenarios.
That said, my work desktop is a G5 machine, which boots off a UFS /
partition and then has a large fraction of the remaining data on ZFS
(partially on APM, partially on GPT), so I can at least guarantee that
works. If you are feeling adventurous, what I would suggest you do is
the following. It's a little baroque, but I can promise you it works.
Other people on the list could probably provide a pure-ZFS solution if
you would prefer.

1) Install to the USB stick with the regular installer so that you have
a bootable read-write system to play with. Just pressing enter
repeatedly should do the right things. Then reboot from the stick.
2) Format the internal disk as you please. Typical setup to dedicate the
whole disk to ZFS with a GPT partition map would be something like:
gpart destroy -F ada0 (removes old formatting)
gpart create -s gpt ada0
gpart add -t freebsd-zfs ada0
zpool create tank ada0
zfs create tank/usr
zfs create tank/usr
3) Copy (cp -pRP) the contents of /usr to /tank/usr, and the same with
/var. You could probably reextract the distfiles as well, but cp is easier.
4) change mountpoints on the ZFS file systems to be /usr, /var, /home,
etc. for whichever bits you want. For example: zfs set -o
mountpoint=/usr tank/usr
5) set zfs_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf

Now you're all done. Of the system directories, I'd only put /usr and
/var on ZFS. Moving, say, /bin, will make single-user-mode less friendly
and cause weird and unpleasant things to happen. Please let us know if
you run into trouble!
-Nathan