Date:      Sat, 06 Apr 2002 14:20:25 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Ian Pulsford <ianjp@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Abuses of the BSD license?

Ian Pulsford wrote:
> > One of the countersuit claims in the USL vs. UCB lawsuit
> > was that USL had taken UCB licensed code, and failed to
> > comply with the terms of the license (about 60% of SVR4
> > was derived, ione way or another, from UCB licensed code,
> > at the time).
>
> Are the BSD licences in use today the same as the licences used on UCB
> code in the 80's?

Yes and no.  The "claim credit" clause has been removed (what
Stallman calls "the advertising clause", but which doesn't
actually trigger automatically, like he says, but only if
you try to claim credit for the features or use of the
software).  Other than that, the license is the same.  The
"compatability" comes from the "no additional restrictions"
collision in section 6 of the GPL.

> Relicensing is illegal without the creator or owner or licence's
> "license".  The owner has copyright and gives license for others to
> distribute or copy or whatever.  The way I understood Stallman's idea of
> a "compatible licence" was one that didn't interfere (via restrictions)
> with a piece of source code being linked or otherwise compiled with
> GPLed stuff.

And thereby triggering the "must be GPL'ed" requirement of
the license, without failing to meet the "no additional
restrictions" requirement of the GPL.  It has to do with him
believing you can GPL the code.

-- Terry