Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:16:26 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        james_mapson@museum.rain.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partial kernel log lines in security output

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 04:42:13PM -0800, James Long wrote:
> In the security run output notifications from most nearly every machine
> I monitor, I see lines in the kernel log messages section similar to:
>=20
> example.com kernel log messages:
> > .14.232:48342 506.29.618.239:80 in via dc0
>=20
> That's just a reconstructed example, but the pattern is that first, the=
=20
> log message is not from the appropriate time frame, and has the first part
> of the line clipped off.  Another typical example is a 'file system full'
> message which is several weeks old, and similarly omits the first part
> of the log entry.
>=20
> What is causing these, and how can I be rid of them?

Couldn't withhold this one from you guys, fresh from the daily report:

-------->8-----------

pcwin002.win.tue.nl kernel log messages:
> All rights reserved.
 =20
pcwin002.win.tue.nl login failures:

-------->8-----------

I thought it was funny :)

But seriously, it is annoying. There really is no solution? I understand
that the kernel mesg buffer has to wraparound, but why doesn't it
wrap on whole lines?

--Stijn

--=20
"Linux has many different distributions, meaning that you can probably find
one that is exactly what you want (I even found one that looked like a Unix
system)."
		-- Mike Meyer, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org,
			in message <15252.28617.61423.224978@guru.mired.org>

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp