Date:      04 Jun 2002 13:32:25 +0100
From:      "S. Roberts" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        johann@broadpark.no
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PRINT: HP DeskJet 820Cxi

--=-8ofL7XnDqTBFG3Xgx6px

Hi Johann,
   I saw your post that relates to an earlier post I had concerning my
wanting to get my parallel printing to work - I also am hoping to get my
FreeBSD box to print to a HP Deskjet 820 Cxi for Windows - Professional
Series printer here without any success so far. I should say, that I've
not had many replies to my original post (sorry).

I saw in your post that you actually have your ppc0 port detected
correctly by your system, which is the problem I have. On boot, this is
all I get for my ppc0:
$ cat dmesg.boot | grep ppc
ppc0: cannot reserve I/O port range
$=20

Here is the kernel support I have compiled in:
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device
device          vpo             # Requires scbus and da

Needless to say, I can't get parallel port printing going from the start
here. Did you have to do any particular Kernel / bios configs in order
to get your parallel port configured?

Sorry I can't be any help to your case, but I'm hoping you could at
least assist me in getting somewhere with mine - then at I could see if
I could get on working on getting this printer to work as well.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Stacey

On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 06:53, johann@broadpark.no wrote:
> ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
> ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
> ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
> Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
> ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 820C> SCP,VLINK
> plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
> lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
> lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
> ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
>=20
> There's no doubt about it, it does get detected. Then why can't I lptest =
>=20
> /dev/lpt0?
>=20
> Note, as modems have winmodems this printer is labeled 'For Windows'. I h=
ope=20
> that won't interfere with anything.
>=20
> Thanks.
>=20
> -- Johann
>=20
>=20
--=20
Stacey Roberts B.Sc. (HONS) Computer Science
Network Systems Engineer